London software development
Find out more about our Software Development apprenticeship scheme.
*One candidate, one application*
We can only accept one scheme application per candidate. Applying for more than one scheme could mean that you won't be considered for your preferred choice.
You may not think of us as a data and information business but we're responsible for millions of daily journeys which can be used for data analysis. We use this data to inform our decisions about the transport development, and the products and services we deliver for our customers. With London's rapid population growth and pressure to deliver more with less resource, this work has never been more important. As a result, we're looking for apprentices to help us build new software tools so that we can analyse our data.
Salaries will differ according to the scheme, however, all our schemes offer a competitive package with the minimum London living wage.
|This apprenticeship may be a route to:
A customer technology role.
|This scheme is now closed.
Initially, you will have a three-day induction based in London which tells you all you need to know about us, your role and where you fit in. Following that, you'll begin an intensive development programme, designed to give your career a real kickstart.
When passengers tap in and out at stations with their Oyster or contactless cards, these 'taps' are captured through our ticketing system: nearly 20 million are captured each day.
We use this information for station planning and analyse journey patterns so we can refund our customers in the event of major disruptions. To keep services running as they should, we also use data tools to analyse the performance of our tracks, signals and trains.
When you join us you'll have the opportunity to experience placements in areas like our Customer Technology team, where you'll engage with customer-facing applications, and learn software development methodologies like Agile Scrum and coding.
You'll also get to work alongside experts at all stages of the software development cycle and get some actual code design experience. This provides the perfect environment to learn and gain hands-on experience because our experts include:
- Analysts who define our software requirements
- Architects who design our systems
- Specialist database administrators who monitor our production systems
- Infrastructure engineers who configure our networks and firewalls
- Deployment engineers who install our software and hardware into our data centres
- Our Operations team who monitor our production systems so that issues can be resolved before our customers are affected
The last three to four months of your apprenticeship will be an indepth development role, giving you the opportunity to fully understand and work on one of our most complex components.
Who we need
We're looking for enthusiastic apprentices with excellent problem-solving capabilities who recognise the critical and high profile role which ticketing performs within our organisation. Potential candidates should also be motivated to gain as much as they can from their placements within our development teams.
What you get out of it
Once your apprenticeship starts, you'll also be able to work towards:
- A Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) in software development fundamentals
- City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate in IT systems and principles
- City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma in IT professional competence
When you become one of our apprentices you'll also receive:
- At least 29 days annual leave, plus standard public holidays
- Free travel on our networks (Zones 1-9) with an Oyster card for you and one member of your household
- A 75% reimbursement on the price of an annual travel ticket outside of our network - plus an interest-free, 10-month loan to pay for it
- Pension scheme membership
- Optional private medical benefit